Wednesday 8 May 2019

The importance of academia in the Church


Reflections on the importance of academia in the Church 
By Will Lyon Tupman, Lay Pastoral Assistant at St. Michael's Croydon 
In addition to the many pastoral and sacramental aspects of being a Lay Pastoral Assistant, there has been a distinctly academic flavour to my placement at St. Michael's Croydon. Having studied theology at university, this has been particularly appealing to me – and St. Michael's has been one of the most academically-focused Churches I have served in to date. Our studies each term have been focused on three main themes; the Incarnation, the Paschal Mystery, and Saints and Sacraments. 
In examining these doctrines and beliefs central to the Christian faith, the priests at St. Michael's have run a course of guided reading, using a variety of academic texts by some of today's most renowned theologians. These include former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, and Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI with his trilogy on Jesus of Nazareth. Crucially, these academic texts clearly radiate the faith of the authors, which has been particularly pleasurable for me as a Christian and a theologian, especially as I explore ways in how I can use my theological learning and understanding to help myself and other Christians on our journey. 
Further to our guided reading programme with the priests at St. Michael's, we have attended seminars with the Venerable Dr. Edward Dowler, Archdeacon of Hastings. In these sessions, we have examined the texts On The Incarnation by St. Athanasius, On Pascha by Melito of Sardis, and The Rule of St. Benedict. I have both furthered and expanded my theological repertoire – and attending these seminars have been very much like attending Cambridge supervisions! 
In addition to our reading and seminars, we have visited the National Gallery in London each term. One of the Senior Research Curators, Dr. Susanna Avery-Quash, has kindly led us on a study of some of the most beautiful and theologically significant images (many of which were originally used in worship in Churches) relating to the Incarnation, the Paschal Mystery and the Sacraments. 
St. Anselm's motto of “faith seeking understanding” underpins our Adult Catechesis programme, a series of Christian learning sessions at St. Michael's open to all, which has corresponded with our Pastoral Assistants' study scheme. Offering presentations to parishioners in study groups gives us the perfect chance to apply our studies and learning to assisting the learning – and faith journeys – of others around us. 
My academic formation at St. Michael's has been both useful and helpful for me, especially in how we have comprehensively examined some of the most important Christian doctrines and beliefs from several denominations – and in both textual and visual mediums. I believe it is vitally important to attain a good balance of sacramental, pastoral and academic aspects of the Church's life – and my placement at St. Michael's excellently embodies this. Having a greater understanding of my faith, through academic study, is both helpful for me and for those around me, as I use my understanding and theology to guide others in their Christian journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment